With Christmas now over and 2018 just beginning we begin to look forward to the year ahead in fancy dress, and what better way to begin than with World Book Day!
What is World Book Day?
World Book Day is the UK wide celebration of literature, whereby Schools, Parents, and just about everyone around the UK tak e part in a variety of activities to celebrate their love of Books. This year World Book Day returns on Thursday 1st March and promises to bigger and better than ever. With brand new £1 books from a whole host of celebrity Authors including Clare Balding, Nadiya Hussain and Julian Clary. Not only that, but we also see the return of some childhood favorites including Mr Men and Paddington Bear. Giving a younger generation of children the chance to enjoy the same characters and stories we ourselves grew up with.
How to get my Child involved?
Your child will automatically get involved in all the fun via there school. Children (and Teachers!) are all encouraged to dress as their favourite book character, with fun and games designed to foster a love of literature taking place throughout the entire school day. Costumes can be as simple, silly or spectacular as you like, with prizes often handed out for the best outfit. Just make sure your child can last a full school day without feeling uncomfortable. For Book Day costume ideas and inspiration, don’t forget to view our costume ideas for both Children and Teachers.
Each year, beyond all of the fantastic fun and games, all Children are given a £1 Book token which can then be redeemed in any major bookstore in exchange for any of the official World Book Day £1 Books. Last year saw over 15 Million book tokens handed out within schools – almost 1 per School aged child! – and this year promises to be no difference, with National Book Tokens hoping to surpass last year and introduce aw whole new generation of Children into the beauty of books.
But what books i hear you cry? Next we look to this years £1 Books, all of which can be redeemed for free using your token.
World Book Day 2018 £1 Books.
- Oi Goat! by Kes Gray and Jim Field (Hodder Children’s Books)
- Mr Men: My Book About Me By Mr Silly written and illustrated by Adam Hargreaves, original concept by Roger Hargreaves (Egmont)
- The Baby Brother from Outer Space! by Pamela Butchart, illustrated by Thomas Flintham (Nosy Crow)
- Paddington Turns Detective and Other Funny Stories by Michael Bond, illustrated by Peggy Fortnum (HarperCollins)
- Nadiya’s Bake Me a Story by Nadiya Hussain, illustrated by Clair Rossiter (Hodder Children’s Books)
- Terry’s Dumb Dot Story: A Treehouse Tale by Andy Griffiths and Terry Denton (Macmillan)
- The Girl Who Thought She Was a Dog by Clare Balding, illustrated by Tony Ross (Puffin)
- Brain Freeze by Tom Fletcher, illustrated by Shane Devries (Puffin)
- The Bolds’ Great Adventure by Julian Clary, illustrated by David Roberts (Andersen Press)
- Marvel’s The Avengers: The Greatest Heroes by Alastair Dougall (Dorling Kindersley)
For more information about this years World Book Day, don’t forget to check out the World Book Day’s Official Website for some fantastic resources and information on how to use your National Book Token.
Check back in with us closer to the Date for some amazing Book Day Costumes, Ideas and a whole host of fun and games for the entire family to enjoy. Just don’t forget to send us your fantastic Book Day Costume photos!